Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Place I want to go to



If there was any place in the U.S. that I would want to go to, I would go to Gettysburg, PA. Gettysburg is the site of the battle which is consiodered the turning point in the American Cival War in 1863. To get there, I would just bug my dad to drive me, since I am not of driving age and it is only an hour away. What I would need to take totally depends on the time of the year. The climate is almost identical to the one here is Baltimore. Personaly, I would go in the summer time. Gettysburg itself was not one single battle. There were several battles within the battle such as; Little Round Top, Big Round Top, Culp's Hill, Seminary Ridge, and the famous battle on the third and last day of battle called Pickett's Charge. Once I got there, I would tour the many battlefields. I would walk the footsteps of the Confederate soldiers under the command of George Pickett, and visit the marker which marks the place of death for Confederate General Lewis Armistead. I would visit Little Round Top, the site where a small regiment from Maine, the 20th Maine Regiment, which consiste of about 300 men halted the Confederate advance with a bold bayonet charge. The place that mosts interests me is Devil's Den. Much rough, hand-to-hand combat took place here. It was difficult to defend, attack, and retreat from.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really cool! Their has to be a ton of historical sites there to visit and history to relive. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete